Category Archives: Trail Mix

Trail Mix

New Minimum Wage Rate announced

All growers and contractors should be aware that the Fair Work Commission (FWC) handed down its 2018/19 Annual Wage Review decision on 20 July 2019. The decision has increased the national minimum wage and the Modern Award minimum wages by 3% from the first full pay period on or after 1 July 2019. The current […]

Labour Hire Update – for workers

Labour Hire Update Three Australian states now have labour hire licensing laws – Queensland, Victoria and South Australia. For anyone considering working for a business or individual who hires your labour to a farm, you will be better protected, but only if your employer is licensed. How does this help workers? There is quite a […]

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Absence makes the heart grow fonder   When you live in Canada, and your boyfriend lives in Australia, the heart-strings tug heavily to entice you to travel across the Pacific. That’s how it was for Bronagh Smyth, a young Canadian woman who joined her Canadian-Australian boyfriend in Adelaide in July last year.  Like a lot […]

Want to extend your working holiday? Ten top tips

  Backpackers make up a large part of Australia’s seasonal horticulture workforce. If you hold a working holiday visa (subclass 417 or 462), you can extend it for two or even three years, by working on Australian farms. You can do a lot to make finding this kind of work easier. Well-prepared travellers will be […]

Mobile app helps workers record working hours

The ‘Record My Hours’ mobile phone app makes it quick and easy for workers to keep a personal record of the hours they work for pay and visa purposes. The Fair Work Ombudsman strongly encourages all employers to keep proper employee records including hours worked and rates of pay and to issue payslips to all […]

Worker profile – Alex & Jill

Fly fishing lures couple to Tasmania to grade potatoes By Peter Angel, State Manager – National Labour Hire Information Service, MADEC The chance to do some fly fishing and meeting some friendly Aussies attracted Jill and Alex to Tasmania where they are grading potatoes to qualify for a second-year visa. First choice not Australia When young American couple […]

Workers advised to choose licensed labour hire agents

Workers advised to choose licensed labour hire agents Backpackers and others planning to do seasonal farm work in Queensland and Victoria with a labour hire agent can protect themselves by checking that the agency they choose to work with is licensed.     A labour hire agency provides temporary staff to employers and pays them for […]